I love Beyonce, and the Internet loves her too.
1. Feelings do not equate to love.
2. Hugs CAN be meaningless, so don’t bother to call the guy who hugged you and ask him if you two stand a chance.
I HAVE ANOTHER BEAUTY-RELATED POST. Should I make my blog a beauty blog of sorts?
I have a very DIY (do-it-yourself) approach towards my hair. For the past six years, I’ve been cutting my own bangs and trimming my own hair (and until recently, dyeing it). I know it’s a huge no-no to do those things, but I can’t help but cut my own bangs and trim my own hair at times…especially when I’m too lazy (and poor) to visit the nearby hair salon.
If you ask me, doing your own hair is an endless process of trial-and-error. You just have to practice and practice, and find strategies (if ever your hair experiment goes wrong). But on the bright side, it’s actually fun and somehow liberating (and horrifying). My most recent homemade haircut is actually inspired by Aubrey Plaza, Kylie Jenner, and Kristen Wiig (because I HAVE LOFTY ASPIRATIONS FOR MY HOMEMADE HAIRCUT). Haha.
Try cutting/dyeing your own hair once in a while. It’s going to change your life (well, sort of).
Up until last March, I’ve never really had a makeup kit or bag to hold all my beauty products. Usually, I just grab whatever beauty product that I like and stash them in my bag. However, for the sake of being organized, I recently decided to sort out my makeup and place them according to its different functions. I ended up separating my makeup into two kits: one for everyday use, and another for special occasions. The picture below is my makeup kit for everyday, and here’s a rundown of the beauty products I use:
(from left to right: Avon Super Extend mascara, Ever Bilena eyebrow pencil, Avon Cherry lip balm, Etude House Drawing My Brow eyebrow pencil, Avon Ideal Oil Control Pressed Powder in Medium , Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry, and a homemade lip and cheek tint from my old lipsticks)
- Avon Super Extend Mascara: The mascara I’m using is part of a care package I received last Christmas from a family friend. I like to use it because it lasts all day, and the brush doesn’t make my lashes look clumpy (or at least what the mascara claims).
- Ever Bilena Eyebrow Pencil: Bold brows are always good, but if you overdo it, it’s going to end up badly. This is the eyebrow product I’m using right now because it easily gives me a bold brow. I just wish that it came out in different colors though.
- Avon Lip Balm in Cherry: I really think that a lip balm is a must-have, and everyone should not leave home without it–especially when temperatures are extreme!
- Etude House Drawing My Brow Eyebrow Pencil: I bought this last month, and a few days after purchasing it, the pencil broke. I still bring this with me because the brush is super useful!
- Avon Ideal Oil Control Pressed Powder: I love this powder because it keeps me shine-free. I also use this as a setting powder after I apply my BB cream (I use Maybelline’s Clear Smooth BB Cream in Natural).
- Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry: My Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm is my favorite lipstick right now. It brightens up my face instantly, and I try to make it look more wearable for daytime by turning it into a stain. I bought it at the Duty Free in the Siem Reap airport for $11— which is cheaper than the local retail price of Php 575. Heh.
- Homemade lip/cheek tint: I also use this to brighten up my face! I like how it goes on sheer.
In other news, I want Happy Skin’s lipsticks…especially the MLBB ones. I also need to stock up on a few beauty products soon, like my eyebrow pencil.
Here’s another Instagram-related post! It’s been a year since I last posted a blog entry regarding my Instagram, and I believe that my feed has evolved over time. I think my Instagram feed is now a combination of food porn, fangirl moments, and other random stuff in between. Check out some of these photos:
Chocolate Chip Cookies x White Cheddar
Chocolate Chip cookies and White Cheddar popcorn are two of my favorite snacks in the world. I brought these for work as my baon last month, and it sustained me during a long day at work!
I can never get enough of striped shirts/dresses!! Over the past few years, I have accumulated eight striped shirts already, and I think I might add more soon. Until now, my love for stripes continues to puzzle my friends and family.
We visited Angkor Wat (and its surrounding temples) during our trip to Siem Reap last month! Although the tour around Angkor Wat was tiring, it was great to see the temples up close. The picture above is the Bayon Temple.
I used to listen to The Raconteurs, and I found a copy of their record at Astrovision last week. Going to revisit their music soon!
Sarah Meier was a speaker for one of the talks during CoSA’s Creativity Week, and it was so awesome to finally meet her in person!!
Yesterday, I coaxed my family into eating at Mad Mark’s for our family lunch yesterday. My brother and I shared 300 grams worth of steak for lunch along with three side dishes, as you can see in the photo. I’m craving for a thick slab of juicy steak right now huhu.
Just some of the magazines I have accumulated over the past few months. Most of them were goodies from trips abroad, and some were bought at Booksale.
This is a basically a summary of my Instagram feed this year. If you want to check out more of my stuff, follow me on Instagram at @leabolante!
Here are some scans I found from Top Form, one of the editorials featured in Vogue’s February issue this year. This is one of my favorite editorials in Vogue because of its take on the classic button-down shirt, and its use of the bold brow and the bold lip. Sometimes, a bold brow and a bold lip is all you need to brighten up your look. It also helps that this look is really, really easy to pull off. You just need a good eyebrow pencil and your favorite lipstick to recreate this look.
First of all, I feel like my blog is a bit all over the place. I’ve been writing things left and right, but I think that it’s time to give my blog some form of structure. As a beginning writer, I would like to write about things that I love, or things that are interesting or relevant. While I find it completely therapeutic to write about my feelings here, I think it’s a good thing to somehow offset my blog entries about my thoughts and feelings with lighter fare, such as blog entries on food, beauty, fashion, culture and other things that I’m interested in. What do you think? Yay or nay?
Are you a talker or a listener?”
If you ask me this question, I would immediately respond and say that “I am a talker,” without hesitation. Growing up, I was really, really, really talkative (and still am). I was known as “that kid who would keep on talking and talking.” However, being a talker is both a blessing and a curse. On one end, you get to talk and share your thoughts (and possibly bullshit your way through things) about basically almost everything, while on one end, there’s this fear of oversharing, and being labeled as the “all-talk, but no action” type of person, among other things.
If you would ask me, I think the greatest challenge of being a talker is being a good listener. Sure, there are people who can seamlessly talk up a storm and still be a great listening ear to others, but there are other people who would just rather talk than listen. They would just talk for hours and hours, and continuously try to assert what they know and feel about the world without giving utmost importance to the opinions and thoughts of the others, which makes them horrible at listening. I know that feeling, because I am exactly the type of person who would talk rather than listen. It has gotten me in trouble with other people numerous times. I recently got into a misunderstanding with two of my best friends because I was becoming more self-absorbed and disconnected from them. Because of that incident, I slowly realized that I was becoming more disconnected from the people I love, and the world that I’m in because I kept on trying to assert myself in a way that was alienating to people. It was like this: “me, me, me, and you shut up.” Truth be told, I already have a hard time trying to relate to other people, and here I am alienating the people who want to be friends with me by being self-absorbed and not listening to whatever they have to say. To cut the long story short, I was channeling Hannah Horvath’s selfish ways. I was awful; and I didn’t become the listening ear that people needed during hard times.
Looking back at these experiences, I realized how listening is very crucial in one’s life. You listen to understand, and when you understand, you do better things. On the other hand, it’s okay to rebel and NOT to listen sometimes, but it is still important to listen to your surroundings, and be empathetic towards the people around you. If you ask me, I’m learning how to be more empathetic and less self-absorbed.
Despite the backlash towards selfies, food pictures, and other annoying posts on Instagram, it is undeniable that this photo sharing service has influenced a lot of people in one way or another. In fact, even if you look through your own Instagram feed, you can easily see that it plays a vital role in the lives of many people. People use their Instagram accounts as a channel to connect, inspire, and relate with others. Some examples include multinational fashion brands like Zara, H&M, and American Apparel, serving you a daily dose of fashion inspiration, or superstars like Beyonce and Miley Cyrus using their accounts to share their daily experiences, as well as news for their fans (Remember that day when Beyonce posted a selfie on Instagram with her new haircut, and the whole Instagram population exploded?). It is pretty obvious that Instagram is oozing with lots of inspiration, and if you are a newbie on Instagram, here are some of the accounts that you need to follow as soon as possible:
1. FlyArt Productions (@flyartproductions) – Curated by Toni and Gisella, Fly Art’s Instagram is a combination of art and hip-hop, with posts combining artworks from renowned artists like Magritte, Picasso, and Da Vinci with song lyrics from hip-hop and R&B artists such as Frank Ocean, Beyonce, Drake, and a whole lot more. Who knew that art and hip-hop could come together and yield fun, yet unexpected results? As a result of FlyArt’s popularity, they have forged collaborations with brands such as Betina and Rad, as well as Philippine Star’s Young Star section for their 18th anniversary party.
2. Mario Testino (@mariotestino)- One of the world’s most renowned fashion photographers, Mario Testino’s Instagram is filled with pictures of some of the most famous people on the planet, as well as some of the biggest events in fashion. His coverage of this year’s Met ball is divine.
3. Haim (@haimtheband)- Haim’s Instagram feed is filled with sisterly love, fun, fashion, and fangirling, which are just some of the things that endear them to their fans. Haim and Hanson in ONE picture? YES PLEASE.
If you are stuck in a rut and need some inspiration, tap the follow button on these accounts. Your day will be a whole lot better.
During our stay in Siem Reap, my dad went around Pub Street and other street shops around the city. He stumbled upon these, and discovered that spiders, scorpions and snakes were being sold in the streets as local delicacies! I guess the real gastronomic adventures happen in the streets, where different dishes made from all sorts of ingredients are being served. No limits, just lots of creativity, and adventurous appetites ready to try something new and exciting.